Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Strawberries & Cream Empanadas

I had a basket of strawberries and I didnt know what to do with it. I google-d "strawberry recipes". I found this nice recipe from Laylita.com but her recipe had rhubarb in it and I had no idea what rhubarb was. I believe it is some soury taste fruit. (I should find out but could not bother knowing how limited Singapore markets are). Then I found many others, some I like part of it and some other parts of the baking process. And so I decided to amend recipe here and there.

I made this before I came across my favourite go-to short crust recipe which was in my Pate Brisee post. So the short crust pastry in these empanadas was slightly crumbly.

I also hate that I did not take the full baking process of these lovelies. I promised myself, I would re-do the new version of this recipe soon.

At the mean time, here is what I have done.


 Strawberries & Cream Empanadas
( Twist and twitch by Charm Bakes )

Ingredients:

15 medium or 25-30 small sweet empanada discs made from basic sweet pastry dough

1/4 cup cream cheese ( I will change this to 1/2 the next time )
2 tblsp brown sugar

3 cups chopped strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbs orange juice

1 egg (slightly beaten )
1/2 cup demerera sugar for sprinkling ( I used coarse grain )

Directions:

Combine the strawberries, sugar and orange juice in a large bowl, mix well and let rest for an hour. Drain the liquid from the strawberries.


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Blend the cream cheese and brown sugar together, then fold in the strawberries. Do not over mix it as you will crush the strawberries. 
Fold the empanada discs and seal the edges, use a fork to help seal the empanadas, then lightly brush the top of the empanadas with the egg yolk; this will give them a nice golden glow when baked.

Sprinkle the demerara  sugar on the top of the empanadas. Chill the empanadas for at least 30 minutes, this will help them seal better and prevent leaks. But my strawberries are stubborn - they forced themselves out of the crust.

Bake the empanadas in a pre-heated oven at 375 F for 30 minutes or until golden.


This is so good that you can eat it on it's own!

I will try this again with step by step guide the next time. That will be when a friend of mine comes back from Korea and bring me a full carton of fresh strawberries..

Soon hopefully!

No comments: