Thursday, July 31, 2014

Tapak Kuda

How was your Hari Raya so far. I hope we all did enjoy ourselves , that too in moderation. I was so so busy last Ramadhan and all that thanks Him for letting me fulfill my wishes.

Unlike any other year, this year, I have decided to take 4 times more orders than any other year.Thank you all for your support and trust for me to decorate your Eid table with my goodies. 

Today , I'm going to share my Lucky Hoof Roll (Tapak Kuda) recipe. It's a simple cake with simple techniques which you just have to follow closely. I did a few versions and this one I'm sharing is the best so far.The cake is moist & soft and it perfectly ,makes 4 per recipe.


And of course, the filling is of your choice. Nutella currently is on a questionable stage as the bottle does not indicate a Halal sign except for the ones in Australia. Of our shelves in NTUC now are mostly from Germany and Poland. But there is also a confirmation from Nutella Singapore that they are on the midst of getting the sign and confirms that Nutella has no animal extracts.Here is a share of the post. Thank you kind soul.


But if you are still in doubt, make your own. It's easy. Buy chocolate cream and hazelnut paste from Phoon Huat. Mix them 3:1 and you will get your very own version of Nutella. Easy Peasy. The choice is yours. 

Here is the recipe.

Lucky Hoof Roll (Roll Tapak Kuda)
Recipe by Aini Salim.

Ingredients:
10 egg yolk
5 egg white
225g caster sugar
30g ovalette (cake stabilizer)
*110g plain flour or top flour ( I use Hong Kong Flour )
*1/2 tsp baking powder (I used double-acting.)
135g butter (melted)
*10g milk powder ( I used full cream )
(* sifted together)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp chocolate emulco  ( I used Strawberry Emulco / Blueberry flavor for different types of Lucky Hoofs)
Nutella chocolate spread OR hazelnut paste OR any Chocolate filling


Method:

Prepare baking pans. I spray the trays with a cooking spray & line with parchment.This will make cleaning a little easier. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine egg yolk, egg white, sugar & ovalette & beat until thick & fluffy on a med-high speed.
Add in all sifted flour & continue beating until well mixed.

Add in melted butter & vanilla & mix well with a spatula.

Scoop up 5 big spoons of batter into a bowl & mix it with the chocolate emulco / other flavors. Then pour into baking pans (Refer below for dimensions of pans.). Spread batter evenly.

Fill the rest of plain batter into a piping bag. Pipe batter onto chocolate layer.

Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180 deg C. Once cooked, remove pan from oven. Then remove cake from pan & leave to cool.


Once cooled, cut off the edges of the cake. Then cut into 2 . Spread Nuttela / hazelnut paste / chocolate filling on the cake & fold into two. Wrap rolled cakes with grease paper or cling wrap & chill cakes before serving.


Dimension & number of pans I used :
two 10x10-inch pans - cut each pan of cake into 2, so total rolls yielded is 4


Hope you find the recipe useful. Feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions. 

Happy trying!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, for yr tapak kuda , blueberry flavor, wats da quantity u used to replace choc emulco?

Unknown said...

Can i add choc flavouring to make a choc tapak kuda?

Unknown said...

Salam dear...can I ask for the recipe given, we can only make 2 trays of tapak kuda? is there any specific amount of batter that we need to weigh to get a consistent thickness of the cake?

Anonymous said...

Hi there! May I know how big is the size of the spoon that you used to scoop up five spoonfuls of batter to mix with the chocolate emulco?

Anonymous said...

If you leave the cake to cool down before u spread the chocolate the sides will not crack?

Madonaldo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

may i know what size are the eggs u used?