Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Steamed Coconut Blossom

I love blossoms!

Everytime there is a family function , I would order this from my sister-in-law ( cause she made it so light and fluffy ) and she would never want to take my money for it. I would not want to take advantage of it and I also do not want to steal their family recipe and so I signed up for a steam cakes or in malay "Kelas Apam".

In the class, I learned how to beat these steam cakes at the right consistency and steam it at the right temparature.

My successful "Apam" results
And so , now that , I know the techniques of steaming, i browsed around on coconut blossoms recipes with my own alterations here and there. This was the addictive light and fluffy results where I can eat these anytime I want, cause it's so easy to make.

Photo is courtesy of Vanessa Wong from Salad Shop
Steamed Coconut Blossoms ( from Bisousatoi.com )
Ingredients
3 cold eggs ( Grade A or slight smaller )
250 gm. sugar
10 ozs. (about 280 to 300 gm.) Hong Kong flour or SuperLite flour - (Sieve for extra fluffiness)
 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. ovalette ( 1 used a heap spoonful )
130 gm. (5 ozs.) coconut cream (can buy the box coconut milk e.g. Kara)
30 gm. pandan juice (blend about 6 pandan leaves)
1 tsp. pandan paste



Directions:
1. Beat all the ingredients together until thick and fluffy.
2. Place the batter in a large piping bag for easy and clean pour

3. Pipe out batter ( about slightly less than half ) into the red cups or any steaming moulds you have (lined with paper cup), top up with coconut filling ( quantity is up to you ) - I like more coconut and then topped with more batter till almost full.
 
3. Steam over high heat for 15 mins.


Ingredients
250 gm. grated coconut
130 gm. gula melaka (palm sugar)
60 gm. water
1 tsp. cornflour
2 pcs. pandan leaves - cut into small pieces

Directions:


(1) Cook sugar, gula melaka and water in a wok till sugar melts.


(2) Add in grated coconut and pandan leaves and fry till dry.

(3) Sprinkle cornflour on top and stir till well mixed.

(4) Cool before using.
Coconut fillings


Nice round and fluffy.


Even the birds want to eat it. hahahaha


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did u buy that steaming moulds? They look so beautiful...

Nura Noor said...

Hi... I bought that mould from my tutor where I took my steamed desserts tutorials. I could not find it anywhere else here in S'pore. Most probably she got it in Malaysia.

Anonymous said...

Hi dear...cantik your coconut blossom.Was wondering if i'm able to purchase the steaming containers from you.Can't seem to find them anywhere. :)

Nura Noor said...

Hi Dear,

You can buy cute plastic green cups for steaming at Bake King (Ghim Hin Lee )located at Haig Road. :)I dont have any extras.. Sorry..

Nura Noor said...

Hi Dear,

You can buy cute plastic green cups for steaming at Bake King (Ghim Hin Lee )located at Haig Road. :)I dont have any extras.. Sorry..

Anonymous said...

Hi. Where can i get ovalette? Shikin ;)

Unknown said...

Can i learn from u??

Anonymous said...

Hi nura, can use cake flour instead..? Fm: CT

Nura Noor said...

Hi Shikin, Ovalette can be found at any baking store. Highly accessible , you can buy it at NTUC. Ovalette is also know as sponge gel.


Nura Noor said...

Hi CT,
Yes you may use cake flour. It's just hong kong flour makes it more fluffy and light.
I have never tried with cake flour though. Let me know how yours turn out. :)

Nura Noor said...

Hi Hysnani Suptu,

So sorry, I do not hold classes. But I will be happy to teach you.

Anonymous said...

Hi sis, If I wanna use nutella as filling & also have different colours, how do I do that? :)