Thursday, March 29, 2012

Scone-aholic!

I love scones. Eat it on it's own, eat with butter (which I love the most!),eat with whipped cream, drink it with tea, have it for breakfast, have it during high tea. I can go on..

I love it when the scones recipe calls for buttermilk. This recipe I'm going to share is a basic scone recipe but I had strawberries in refrigerator from my last Creamy Berries Cakelets. (I have yet to share that !)

I took the recipe from Confession of a Tart , her pictures in her blog is so pretty especially that yellow rose. Ok, I'm side tracking a lil bit here. Maybe 1 day, I might buy fresh flowers for my pictures too. But first, I need a good camera! Recommend me what type for food taking please..

And so I only had like 10 strawberries left but to me that was enough for the whole scone dough as too much will make the scone too tard. With that little strawberries here and there, it looks really pretty.
And here goes the recipe.


Strawberry Scones
Adapted from Confessions of a Tart
(makes 8 large wedge scones or 12 mini circles)1/2 cup strawberries

3 tablespoons sugar (granulated)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt ( I did not use these as I use salted butter )
6 tablespoons butter, in cubes, slightly softened
2/3 cup cold buttermilk

Topping:


1 tablespoon sugar
Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.

If using larger fruit (peaches/apricots), cut into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle fruit with 1/2 tablespoon sugar; set aside. Cut these fruits to small cubes so that it will not fall out of the dough.

Combine remaining sugar with flour, baking powder and salt. Add butter,  you may want to use your fingers to rub these lightly to be sure butter is evenly mixed into flour. Do not overwork the butter.


 Stir in fruit; then add buttermilk all at once. Use spatula to gently stir dough until it holds together.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times to incorporate dry ingredients. Be gentle so you don't break up the berries and don't overwork the dough. The buttermilk is enough to make the dough sticks together. If it looks a little dry - it's OK! trust me.

Press (pat) the dough into a circle 3/4 inch thick. If any berries peek out, push them into dough. Cut circle into 8 wedges, then transfer wedges to the cookie sheet, leaving at least 1/2 inch of space between them.

I brush the whatever is left buttermilk on top of the scones for a little shine and for the sugar to stick on it. Sprinkle the granulated sugar on top of the wedges.


Bake 15 minutes.

Check your scone and bake till 
tops are beginning to brown and spring back when you push them (this took another 15 minutes in my oven, but keep a careful watch and check every 5 minutes - you do not want dry scones!).



Lastly, enjoy your scones as it is. Warm and buttery! Love it!


I hope you try it and let me know how did yours turn out!

Thank you for reading!

2 comments:

Suhaina said...

u have a lovely blog dear. of course u can try my recipe and post it in ur blog. i see that u love baking a lot just like me.

Nura Noor said...

Hi Suhaina,

Thank you for dropping by. You are so talented. I shall learn a lot from your recipes.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

XoXo
Nura